Heeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!

Sonoma, CA, United States
To know me is to lov... er, well, it's to know me.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I am always willing to learn...

One of the biggest challenges in my job is keeping current on the latest and greatest software and hardware out there. I have to know how everything works, why it works, and what can do the job better than what I already have! That’s a lot to handle, especially when you consider how fast technology changes. For example, the processor in my cell phone is faster than most of the computers I worked on 5 years ago. My laptop, it’s three times more powerful than servers I used at a 251 room hotel only 3 years ago! And don’t get me started on the changes in security (firewalls, antivirus, etc) items! That’s a lot of training! But, training is not only time-consuming, but it can also be very, VERY expensive! CBT, or Computer Based Training, courses you buy on CD or DVD can run into the thousands of dollars. Sure, there are always classes at the local community college or tech school, but they don’t always fit in with your schedule. However, there is another way to get training, on your own schedule, at your own pace, and (sometimes) for free!

Yep, I said the “f” word. FREE.

Here are a few places to get some great training on everything from the latest version of Word or Excel to how to fine-tune that new 60” HD flat-panel TV you all chipped in for and bought me. ;^)

Microsoft Office 2003 and 2007 (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc):
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/HA102262291033.aspx

Everything from PC Troubleshooting to how to be more energy efficient in the office: (These are instructor-led, which means they’re on a schedule, but they’re still free and your “classroom” is wherever you are!)
http://h30187.www3.hp.com/index.jsp

Training Videos on technical skills like Security, Programming, and Wireless Networks: http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/videos

Another huge selection from Gadgets for your Car to Home Theater Basics to working with Digital Photographs:
http://classes.cnet.com/

In short, there’s a lot of information out there, and you’d be very surprised just how much of it is free.

No comments: